On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:37:27PM -0800, Jim Michaels wrote:
> The only reason I am making the point is because I try to suggest GIMP
> to people who can't afford Photoshop or are looking for a free photo
> editor.
> Maybe it's not the best reason in the world.

Definitely but understandable.

> I just wanted to give people a solution they could afford.

Free = affordably by anyone. Ok.

>  I was hoping to be able to  give them something high end, intuitive, and
>hopefully easy to use.

High end is enemy of intuitive or easy to use. Give Photoshop to any new user
and see if it is so "easy to use".

> Is there some way to make textures?  stitch photos taken from various
> points of view?

two completely different jobs IMHO

> well, I can always do that with microsoft ICE or other
> programs made for panos, but not everybody knows about that -

Under Linux use hugin ...

> people will use what is built into the program they have (after all,
> that's all that can be done, right...?). - and I know this is wrong
> thinking,

Well, if is wrong is wrong ... like trying to put a nail into a wall with only
the hands

> but when you don't implement features, the user doesn't know
> any better - most of the time, but then there are the power users who
> want it all and do just about everything with the program, and there are
> plenty of them out there.

There are plenty of people who use drugs too out there...

> I don't think feature-itis is a bad thing.

Yes is a bad thing. And it will always be a bad thing. Tell me why you
never see any professional worker using a swiss army knife?

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy#Mike_Gancarz:_The_UNIX_Philosophy

And think about this: it is the sole 40 years old OS working (well) out there.
There should be a reason.

>  it's just -well, how do
> you organize lots of features and plugins?  when you have a large
> collection of plugins from the registry installed, you get REALLY WIDE,
> long menus.  especially if you have photoshop filters for pspi.exe you
> want to add to that collection as well.

just use another program or install only the plugins you really-really use.

> There
>  is some significant functionality provided by photoshop filters.
> again, take a look at http://alienskin.com/eyecandy/index.aspx
> these
> can make the difference between a toy-looking site and a
>  professional site with some skill.  there are a lot of junk filters out
>  there that simply just ruin an image.  I have had to wade through
> them.  But once in a while you find out about companies like http://Topaz.com
>
> "Please use darktable"
> what
>  darktable?  it doesn't exist in 2.6.11 nor in the plugin registry.
> vaporware.  or someone is just being dark. :-/  I don't even like the
> name.

Many do not like GIMP name either, think about it...

> "Gimp is just GIMP." seems so mediocre. I was hoping to spur some
> Excellence.  maybe someone can come up with some radical new ideas for
> photo imaging and put it into GIMP.  I have already heard of one
> excellent idea which became a plugin.

Well, noone is stopping you. Just do it (TM)! ;-)

--

Marco Ciampa