On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 5:14 PM, Gez <lis...@ohweb.com.ar> wrote:
> El dom, 05-06-2016 a las 09:26 +0200, Øyvind Kolås escribió:
>>
>> > Practical, applied color management is not that complicated.
>> > Neither is
>> > understanding the basics of radiometrically correct editing.
>>
>> Most people - including people doing photography and graphic design
>> work for a living - prefer not to. I used to teach people becoming
>> such professionals at a university level. It should also be possible
>> to use GIMP for color scientists and color science geeks that care
>> more about color accuracy control than image composition.
>
> That should come endorsed by a professional photographer or designer
> saying she doesn't care about color management.
> We can assume that the silence is because nobody cares. But there is
> also a fat chance that there aren't many of those professionals around
> here.
>
> It's also possible that many future professionals at university level
> truly don't care, because they weren't taught about the importance and
> influence of color management in their work.
> I know that was the case with me. The quality of my work improved
> substantially after I understood the basics of color management.
> "just works" for most of the people means "I don't have to care about
> that" and that's a huge mistake.
>
> I do graphic design work for a living, and for ideological reasons I
> chose to do it with free software. I do care about proper color
> management because I know how doing it wrong degrades and limits the
> quality of my work.

I am not saying that there should be no ability to do color management
- or that it is worthless. I have been doing color science research as
well as been teaching bits of color reproduction knowledge. I am
saying that expecting a user to understand color management before
being able to do decent work with GIMP and its user interface is
unreasonable. Just like a good photographer beats a bad one with an
expensive camera; detailed knowledge of color management and pixel
representation is secondary to other skills in producing quality
photos.

mitch manages ignore the mailinglist and stay productive - astonishing
given the level of distraction here on gimps mailinglist.

/pippin