On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 12:48:44 +0000, "Austin Donnelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On , 17 Feb 2002, Rebecca J. Walter wrote:
> > As any looked into how all this will work with different window
> > managers?  What window managers grab what keys and can the window
> > managers easily be configured to use alt if gimp isn't using it?
>
> I'd like to whine: I use ALT+mouse1 *inside* a window to quickly move
> it somewhere else on the desktop, therefore any ALT clicking is going
> to annoy me severly.

Well, then you should reconfigure your WM.  ;-)  Alt+mouse1 is already
used by the current version of the Gimp to move a selection outline
without moving its contents.  I do not think that we should change that
because this is a useful feature.  If this feature is not so important
for you, then you can of course let your WM grab the Alt+mouse1
combination in your own setup.

In general, I think that <single modifier>+key or +mouse1 should be
reserved for the applications (for all modifiers), so the Gimp should
make use of these combinations if needed.  The WMs should only use some
combinations of two modifiers +key or +mouse.

-Raphaël