AMP file are very simple to read and to process: These "arbitrary map
files" contain gamma tables with 256 byte values. The files contain
either one or three (and possibly more) of these tables. A monochrome
table would contain just one set of values, an RGB table would contain
three sets.

Details can be found in the Adobe documentation of the Photoshop
format (Adobe Photoshop 6.0 - File Formats Specification), which
can be downloaded from Adobe's web site.

Adding this to either the Gimp curves tool or the Gimp-Print plug-in
would be very simple.

Hope this helps,

Karl Heinz