On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 10:08:55AM -0400, Leonard Rosenthol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         A JAR is a special type of ZIP archive, which contains one or more
> "data files" along with an XML "manifest" about the contents.   I've worked
> on a number of projects (both commercial and "open") that have used such a
> format - it works quite nicely and is compatible with existing tools and
> technologies.   Always better than reinventing the wheel!!

the ar file format is much better established then jar, quick to access
(unlike jar), and very very very much simpler. a complex container
format like jar is not very helpful, as the added complexity just gets
in the way (we just need to bundle files...)

>         I think the approach of a JAR-like file for the future GIMP (and
> possibly CinePaint) file format is an excellent choice and allows for many
> avenues of expansion.

i think jar-like is backwards. tar-like is much better (but tar itself
is unsuitable due to the lack of rigid definitions and a multitude of
different formats, the same is true for cpio).