On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 12:20:26PM +0200, Jakub Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > reassigning a keybinding will remove the old assigment), or the
> > reassignment shouldn't happen when it clashes (less preferable).
>
> The solution to the bug was the preference toggle. These two things just

Since the preferences toggle doesn't solve it at all, why do you call it
a solution? Toggling it on does not work, as Sven said, as then mnemonics
and dynamic shortcuts will clash.

The preferences option is more like a hack so people can temporarily
enable it, but that cannot be a solution, just a workaround to limit the
damage.

> The only other 'solution' to this problem I can think of is not using a
> single letter shortcuts, so that they would only work for mnemonics. I
> find this worse than the preference toggle, because the basic tools
> really need to be accessible with a fast shortcut.

But why do menmonics and dynamic shortcuts clash at all? Either a key is
bound to a menmonic or it is bound to a dynamic shortcut, but never
both. And if I really want to reassign a key used currently by a
mnemonic, it should either work or not work, but assigning it to both
mnemonic and a shortcut doesn'T sound like a "solution" to me.