On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Christopher Curtis wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:10:02 -0400
> From: Christopher Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Alan Horkan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: new-xcf [Re: Gimp-developer Digest, Vol 10,
>      Issue 18]

> > It is far better not to XML at all than to break XML.
> > (incidentally this is similar to what has been suggested for Cinepaint).

> even resemble XML.  My "PREAMBLE" is valid XML.  If they implement what
> they have written, they don't even bother with things like closing tags
> or putting parameters in quotes.

A preamble, which is effectively full XML file, a boundry then more
information which is effectively another file.
Two files in one file, sounds like an ad-hoc container to me.

> Which is what, at this point, I would prefer.
>
> >>OTOH, any
> >
> > Using Zip as a container is not "On The Other Hand", it does not prevent
> > any of the things you are suggesting.
>
> Using a container at all is OTOH.
>
> > run 'head' on an OpenOffice document and you will see that the manifest is
> > left uncompresses so that you can easily read it as text.
>
> OpenOffice documents are zipped; you can't head them.
>
> btw: META-INF/manifest.xml is at the end of my .sxi file.

I made a terrible mistake of generalising from one instance.
It is doable it but it was just coincidental in that it was done that way
in the file I looked at.

While I am apologising, I may as well repeat what I said offlist.
I only used Winzip as an example, there are several programs which can
recover parts of zip files, so repairing damaged zip files is possible
(although I cant guess how difficult it is do it).
I expect there must be command line tool for unix zip files, i just dont
happen to know what it is yet.

- Alan