On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 11:53 PM, Carol Spears wrote:

[ ... ]
I looked up heuristic it said it meant heuristisch! How can this be so?

Did you use an English/German dictionary? Next time use Merriam-Webster Online at www.m-w.com

I thought when i cp'd something i was totally making a copy of the file and simply giving it a new name. The size never changes, so how could this be true?

The contents of the file will not change, just it's representation on the disk. The "ls" will still report the
original file size, but the file will actually use less space on the disk. Once the file is read back into
memory, the "hole" is filled with the correct amount of zeros again.

Karl Heinz