On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:08:14 +0200, "Branko Collin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 18 Aug 2003, at 20:25, Raphaël Quinet wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:12:06 +0200, Roman Joost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >> I'll setup up some pages for the module, but where
> >> can i upload these pages?  [...]
> > I suggest that you keep this temporary URL for the next two or three
> > weeks.  The new web site (currently mmmaybe.gimp.org) should replace
> > the old one soon and it will be easier to set up the correct URL after
> > all parts of the new site are in place.
> >
> > Regarding the "final" location, I would suggest something like:
> >   http://www.gimp.org/docs/help/
> > The web site is under CVS control (module "gimp-web"), so there should
> > be no problem for synchronizing the contents if you have write access
> > to CVS.
>
> Shouldn't support for documentation writing take place on
> http://developer.gimp.org, rather than http://www.gimp.org?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the above URL was refering to the
"stable" help pages.  The URL for the development of the help pages
could of course be different, and it could be hosted on the developers'
site.

As we have discussed during GIMPcon, the next release of the GIMP will
not contain the help system in the default package.  The help system
will be shipped as a separate package (with its own release schedule)
and it will be up to those who build and distribute binaries to decide
if they ship them together or not.  If a user tries to access the help
system while it is not installed, the GIMP should display a message
saying that the corresponding help page is not installed and suggest to
install the missing package.  But it should also provide a link to a
copy of the help pages available from www.gimp.org.  This is what I was
refering to in my previous message: http://www.gimp.org/docs/help/
This URL would always contain the latest stable version of the help
pages.

This URL (a prefix, actually) would be known by the GIMP so that those
who do not have the gimp-help(-2) package can access the online help.

-Raphaël