Am Die, 2003-08-19 um 16.48 schrieb Sven Neumann:

> Well, of course you can. That's the whole point of UTF-8 encoding. It
> provides a single encoding suitable for all languages so that they can
> coexist in the same file. All XML-1.0 compatible tools must handle UTF-8
> correctly and there is thus no need to use entities.

There are two reasons not to use UTF-8 as input format:
- There're still editors, consoles and other tools that have hefty
  troubles with UTF-8, especially when it's not used as the native
  encoding on the system
- Last time I looked most if not all processors have troubles
  transcoding UTF-8 to HTML entities or different charactersets,
  unfortunately quite a few browsers cannot properly display the former.

I'm sure we can switch really fast as soon as there is significant
support or at least demand.

--
Servus,
       Daniel