On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:08:02 +0200, David Neary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In the current situation, I think it's reasonable to fit in with
> what others do in the general case, which dynamic shortcuts
> provide a way to revert to the old behaviour. When the others are
> everyone using a Mac, plus people who come to the GIMP from KDE
> or GNOME applications, and PhotoShop users, I think the benefits
> of a familiar keybinding are self-evident.
>
> If you like, I'm arguing populism here. More people use
> Ctrl-Shift-Z as redu than Ctrl-R. Therefore, until there is a very
> good reason to change, we should do the same. In addition, a
> considerable body of usability work reccommends this keymapping.

Just my 0.02 Euro...  I agree with Dave: the majority of the GIMP
users are using it very seldom and spend most of their time with other
applications.  So the consistency with other applications should have
a large weight when making decisions.  And in this case, the drawbacks
have a rather low weight because it is easy for the more experienced
users to re-assign the shortcut if they are not satisfied with
Ctrl-Shift-Z.  We should try to help those who are not using the GIMP
frequently (yet) as long as the costs for the more experienced users
are minimal.

-Raphaël