On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:17:46 +0200
> From: Thorsten Wilms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Layer locking proposal
>
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 08:19:16PM -0300, Pedro Kiefer wrote:
> >
> > I've just made this mockup (attached) of how the locking mechanism
> > should appear to the user in the layers tab. But that could be wrong, in
> > not really familiar with the GNOME HIG. Clicking in an unlocked lock
> > will lock the layer, clicking in a locked lock will unlock it.
>
> I think the lock should be in front of the layer names, right after
> visibility but before chaining, as it will block the later mechanism.
> There should be a third state for chaining, showing the symbol halfway
> faded out or something like that, to indicate it having no effect when
> the layer is locked.
>

> But I'm in doubt if locking is worth the space and additional visual
> complexity.

I believe locking is a necessary feature and I would not like to
discourage a developer who is willing to make the effort required to add
it.  It is better to include the feature then work out how to improve the
user interface as needed.

If people are concerned about the use of space and visual complexity of
the Layers dialog I'd like to suggest a string change (I may have
suggested it before though).  I'd like to see New Layer shortened to
just "Layer" (once you've created it, aint new no more) and the numbering
format changed to simply use " N" which is more aethetically pleasing to
me than the pound/hash/sharp # symbol which I find a little distracting.

Turning the Layer label into a Text Area instead of one line Text Entry
might also help.  Side scrolling can be annoying and if you have Layer
preview thumbnails enabled (especially larger ones) there is quite a bit
of dead space.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org