> How much memory increase do you see per image? Can you run this script
> a couple of times and show us memory usage before and after?
>

> Sven

When I first start up GIMP:

/usr/bin/gimp -d -i -c --batch '(extension-perl-server 1 0 0 )'

I see the following using top (script-fu and Perl-Server processes never
change so I'm not including those):

VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
18440 7444  13m S  0.0  1.4   0:01.07 gimp

Then I execute the code shown at the end of this message, and I see the
following:
VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
18648 8056  13m S  0.0  1.6   0:01.12 gimp

Within the code I add an additional text layer and use gimp_merge_down,
and see no change.  I add seven text layers and still no change (I had
originally thought adding a new text layer ALWAYS results in more memory
being taken but this is not the case, so my initial description of the
problem is misleading.)  After running the script with the new text
layers about 25 times in rapid succession I see the following:

VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
18788 8196  13m S  0.0  1.6   0:06.23 gimp

This behavior occurs with this sample pretty consistently.  Not a huge
increase, but the cgi I'm using in production does a lot more than this
and can be generating a few thousand images in one day.

Thanks,
Jared