Forwarding accidentally done personal reply.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Laxminarayan Kamath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 09:04:01 +0530
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] no-image-open redux
To: Bill Skaggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
About changing the menu .. Would the end user like a perpetually
changing menu. At least I have got tired of playing this "hide and
seek" with the menu items every time a new version of the GIMP comes
in.
Supposing now there is no choice, .. if I were to shorten the menu, I
would keep the "View" menu, and move the select menu into "Edit". But
then that is my preference.
And yes, I see no problem in doing away with the toolbar. The four
options you have provided are nothing but the four first options in
the "file" menu.
In the perspective of a beginner, if the beginner finds no such
toolbar, he will explore the menus. And it will probably be only two
more seconds than otherwise that he finds those options. In the
perspective of a pro, he will know "Ctrl+n" and "Ctlr+o" anyways. So
it does not help much anyway.

On 3/8/08, Bill Skaggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To keep the ball rolling, I thought it might be useful to show a
> copy of my current experimental version of a no-image-open
> window. Most features should be obvious from the picture, but
> a couple of notes:
>
> 1) The toolbar shows most of the things a user might want to
> do with no image open, but not quite all. "Aquire", or "Open as
> layers", could be added, or even "Create", which would access
> the menu for creating buttons, logos etc. "About" could, and
> probably should, be removed.
>
> 2) I felt like I had to shorten the main menu, because it made the
> window too wide. I did this by shifting the categories I use least
> into submenus -- "View" into "Image", and "Tools", "Dialogs", and
> "Xtns" into a new "Gimp" category.

<snip/>

--
Laxminarayan Kamath Ammembal