Hi,

On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 09:49 -0800, Bill Skaggs wrote:

> After discussing these things with Enselic on IRC, I've come to
> realize that the most basic question is what we expect the user
> to do with this window.  If we expect the user to mainly keep it
> minimized, and only bring it up when intending to open an image,
> then there is no problem if it is large and full of empty space.  (It
> still shouldn't be *too* large if it is going to be a drop target, or
> it will tend to cover up the drag source.)  If, however, we expect
> the user to keep it open in a corner of the screen, then it needs
> to be relatively small, and visually attractive.  I have been designing
> with the small-attractive goal in mind, but maybe that is the wrong
> approach.

Why should a user keep the no-image window open? This window will only
ever be there, in this mode, for a few seconds. It is shown when GIMP is
started without specifying images on the command-line. The user will
then either create a new image or open an existing one. And it will be
there when the user closes the last image. At that point she is either
done using GIMP and exits the application or she starts to work on
another image.