Alexia Death wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 12:40 PM, David Gowers <00a...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 9:43 AM, Brendan <mailingl...@endosquid.com> wrote:
>> A list of files that would need modification:
>> ... SINP LONG LIST...
>
> And all of GIMP code. 98% functions are prefixed as gimp. You can try
> to grep for gimp on gimp source tree. Forget it. Some English speakers
>  discomfort at the name is getting a bit ridiculous IMHO.

A note: The end users don't care what the functions are called. Just the
name of the binary, the logo, and the title bar.

The discomfort at the name for me has nothing to do with some moral
objection. Its about having a product you aren't afraid to advertise.
When I start extolling the virtues of open source to my buddies, one of
the first three objections I usually get are "but there is no good
graphics software like Photoshop." As soon as I say "GIMP," you can see
the doubt on their faces, because they associate the word with being
weak or lame.

If Mozilla's browser today was name "Mozilla Slug," or "Bloat Browser,"
how many people do think would be wearing the tee-shirt or showing off
the desktop wallpaper?

People keep saying "the original developers named it GIMP" and that is
that. Every heard, though, of the original name of the Linux OS?
Torvalds wanted it called "Freaxs." Fortunately, though, the name Linux
stuck, and even Linus admitted this was better.

--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us