On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Vincent Beers <vincentbe...@gmail.com>wrote:

> While you have a point about being able to hide the menu bar, doesn't
> the main window never get larger than the screen size, meaning that
> your window title and everything in it will always be visible?

This limitation does not exist.  Suppose I have an image 4000x6000 and I
want to look at it at 100%, or an image 400x600 and I want to look at it at
800%. If I shrink wrap it (Ctrl+E with version 2.6, or Ctrl+J with version
2.8), certainly the window will be larger than my screen. Since I can easily
move it using some key combination and the mouse, I can look at various
parts of the image, and be not limited by my screen size.

> Actually, I have encountered no other image manipulation suite that
> would obscure the menu bar like this other than the GIMP. I'm not
> saying that it is a bad thing, just that it removes the chance to do
> anything else with said button. For a mouse button, which is one of
> the buttons that is easily and quickly clickable, opening a menu might
> not be the most desired action to give it.

I cannot count how many times I have been happy to be able to reach almost
everything from a simple right-click.  If other image manipulation
applications cannot offer this possibility, too bad for them.

> If accessing the menu is absolutely necessary in this way, why not map
> it to another common key (like tapping the space bar) and leave an
> extra mouse button to added editing power? Or perhaps use the context
> menu button on the keyboard to good use.

The space bar is invaluable as a way to move the image withing its window.
Why do you want to confiscate existing possibilties, instead of unused
keyboard and mouse combinations?

> If you really can't go without the right-click-menu thing, how about
> making it more context sensitive, then? Show appropriate options when
> you right-click a selection or a text box for example, with the
> original menus shown below the context sensitive options.
>
> Same remark as above. I would suggest you to propose new combinations for
interesting, new capabilities, but not try to remove somewhat which has
existed from the first version of GIMP, simply because you don't use it.

Vincent Beers

--
Olivier Lecarme