On 7/25/10, Bill Skaggs wrote:

> The global popup menu is certainly useful; I have used it very often.  The
> context menu for the text tool was introduced as part of on-canvas text
> editing.  It was introduced because on-canvas editing could not work
> without it -- there was no reasonable way to access text versions of
> Copy and Paste and other essential commands except by using a context
> menu.  Mitch has been working on a set of canvas widgets that may do
> the job, but they were not available when on-canvas text editing was
> developed.  Once they work well, it might be possible to get rid of
> the text tool context menu.

Well, if you try it right now you will also see commands like "Load
text" or "Text along path". I'm not entirely sure that it's going to
look good on canvas. Anyway the whole set of new features regarding
Text tool from 2.7.1 hasn't gone though usability meat-grinder yet,
afaik.

> There are other tools that also would benefit greatly from either a context
> menu or an on-canvas control.  The clearest is the paths tool -- for example,
> it would be very valuable to be able to mark a path vertex as "smooth", by
> constraining the two handles to always point in opposite directions.

I'm not sure about that one. Pippin's abandoned test tool for GEGL had
a much simpler on-canvas implementation.

> In summary, popup context menus and popup global menus are both useful; the
> only question is which one is more important.

I agree about trade-offs, the only thing I disagree with is the "we
always did so/had it" argument. There are better ways to evaluate
usefulness of a feature than that.

Another thing is that with all those ipads and other similar devices
coming and taking over the market usefulness of right-click menu per
se is becoming questionable.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org