Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 03:56:18 -0800
   From: Manish Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 09:01:01PM -0500, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

   > (and as it happens, in 1.1 the Gimp library directory is
   > /usr/local/lib/gimp/1.1, and so forth.  Not very friendly to a
   > version-agnostic plugin.)

   Well, 1.0 and 1.1 plugins are incompatible at the binary and protocol
   level.

Right, but they can be made compatible at the source level with a very
small amount of #ifdef'age.  It's important for build scripts.

   >    What do you need exactly? We could extend gimptool to provide values
   >    for the whole gamut of autoconf installation path variables...
   >
   > The print plugin will at some point have auxiliary files.  I'm
   > thinking of moving the printer descriptions out of the plugin (where
   > they're compiled into presently) and into some kind of text file
   > describing their capabilities, and I want somewhere to put those
   > files.

   Like, say, $(datadir) (typically ${prefix}/share) ?

That's the right idea, although /usr/local/share isn't specific enough
-- presumably it's more like /usr/local/share/gimp/plugindata or some
such.

--
Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Project lead for The Gimp Print --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net