On Sun, 2010-01-10 at 13:04 -0500, Anthony DiSante wrote:
> On 01/10/2010 05:22 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-01-09 at 13:13 -0500, Anthony DiSante wrote:
> >
> >> My monitor is not a CRT, but I think it's pretty good: it's a Samsung
> >> 2253BW
> >> LCD, from 2008.  Not sure if this tells you much, but on this monitor I
> >> can
> >> easily distinguish every shade in the color scale from dpreview.com:
> >>
> >> http://nodivisions.com/stuff/ext_posts/dpreview.com-color-scale.jpg
> >>
> >> But I don't think this is a monitor issue.  Here's an image of a gradient
> >> that
> >> I found on the web:
> >>
> >> http://nodivisions.com/stuff/ext_posts/smooth-gradient.jpg
> >>
> >> On my monitor, that looks extremely smooth: I need to blow it up to ~200%
> >> before I see the striations, and even then they're nowhere near as rough
> >> looking as in the gradient I created in GIMP.  Is that because this is a
> >> color
> >> gradient whereas my GIMP gradient is in gray?
> >
> > Oh, are you trying to create this gradient on an image in gray-scale
> > mode?
>
> No, it's an RGB-mode image; it's just that the only colors I'm using in it
> are
> white and gray.
>

> On 01/10/2010 06:24 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:
>  > On Sat, 2010-01-09 at 13:13 -0500, Anthony DiSante wrote:
>  >
>  >>>> http://nodivisions.com/stuff/ext_posts/gimp-unsmooth-gradient.jpg
>  >
>  >> http://nodivisions.com/stuff/ext_posts/smooth-gradient.jpg
>  >
>  > Not a fair comparison. Your unsmooth gradient has a much smaller range
>  > than the image of the smooth gradient you are comparing it too.
>  >

> I don't think that's it either.  Here's the smooth one again, along with a
> new
> one created in GIMP with the same dimensions as the smooth one:
>
> http://nodivisions.com/stuff/ext_posts/smooth-gradient.jpg
>
> http://nodivisions.com/stuff/ext_posts/gimp-unsmooth-gradient-smaller.jpg
>
> That one's better, but still has more visible striations than the non-GIMP
> image.
>
> Or by "range" are you referring to white-to-gray vs. white-to-blue?  Am I
> running out of intermediate colors faster because white and gray are more
> similar than white and blue?

Range was referring to the range of colors your gradient goes through.
Your start and end colors are very close to each other. So there is only
a very limited range of colors between them. That is different in the
smooth gradient you are comparing to. Its gradient covers a larger color
range.

I don't think you can substantially better results than what GIMP will
create for you. But if you are not happy about the result, feel free to
use different software or to patch GIMP to yield a better result.

Sven