So I moved upstream and asked about this on the LittleCMS mailing
list. From what the users and devs there were able to figure out,
there is no ICC profile embedded in my camera's JPG and TIF files. In
fact, DSLR cameras do not embed an ICC profile at all. The Digital
Camera File system (DCF) specification explicitly states that color
profile information should be specified as part of the EXIF metadata.
There's a whole series of tags in a digital camera's file which
defines which colorspace should be used to interpret it. It's not just
"ColorSpace", but others as well all taken together.

So again, this goes back to the application level, and not the color
management library. If the application (in this case Gimp) was
properly DCF-aware, then it would detect the proper color profile
that's specified in the image file.

So... is this the right mailing list for this discussion, or do I need
to subscribe to the Dev mailing list?

Here are the relevant emails from the LittleCMS mailing list.

--
Frank Gore
Project Manager