On 03/24/2010 11:03 PM, Lennart Svensson wrote:

> Sven Neumann wrote, On 2010-03-23 21:38:
>> On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 14:19 +0100, Lennart Svensson wrote:
>>> When you start gimp from the promptline you got the Application Options:
>>> -a, --as-new                        Open images as new
>>>
>>> Why is this not available (as a button) when you open a file inside gimp ?
>>
>> It is considered useful for applications that want to send images to
>> GIMP by means of opening them from a temporary location. We haven't seen
>> any potential use for it in the user interface so far.
>>

>> Sven
>>

> This button should inhibit the possibility to save the file during editing and
> destroy the original file. Same as the command line option -a.

There are plenty of other strategies you can use
* Only open copies of files
* Version control your files
* When you discover you overwrote a file, if possible, undo to the
initial state of the image and resave

Having a button as you propose is not an elegant solution to the problem
you are trying to solve.

BR,
Martin

--