I understand exactly how you feel. I hated the export feature too for like a
month or so until it just became second nature for me to use it. It shouldn't
take you that long to get used to it. However, if it bothers you that much,
there's a plugin you can install that'll add a new option "Save/Export Clean"
to the File menu.
https://github.com/akkana/gimp-plugins/blob/master/save-export-clean.py

There are a few drawbacks to using it though, which are addressed on the page.

Sent from my iPod