> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 22:17:53 -0500
> From: etter...@gmail.com
> To: mdmp...@gmail.com
> CC: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] gimp users matter
>
> > Why aren't you scaling it before you export it?
> That would be way too scary!!  The easiest way (for me) to lose a lot of
> work on a
> .xcf file would be to scale it and then accidentally save.  The old (2.6
> method I described)
> protected me from an accident such as that.

Yeah, I agree; although the initial PNG export is technically redundant (since
you're about to resize & export over the same filename anyway) with 2.6's save
model this DID have the advantage of preventing you from accidentally
overwriting your XCF file with the wrong image resolution during any
intermediate steps.  Whereas with 2.8's Save/Export model you do not have that
protection whatsoever, because the Save command always targets the XCF file
(i.e. is unaffected by any exports).  Literally every moment between the
initial image resize and the final close/quit carries the possibility you might
accidentally save the wrong resolution to your XCF file.  It's especially
dangerous if this happens during the prompt when you close the image because in
this case you won't have an Undo history to come back later and revert back to
the correct resolution with.

So for now, about the safest thing to do is just duplicate the image into a new
window/tab (which isn't linked to the XCF file) before you make any potentially
destructive edits you do NOT want included in your XCF.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ran...@hotmail.com