>I can't seem to make this work; I don't see any option for enlarging the
>workspace.  I can enlarge the canvas as much as I want, but this doesn't change
>the size of the "window" through which my content is visible.  As I paste in
>the
>second image and slide it over--in this case to the right, it disappears.  It's
>almost like the second image is sliding under the blank background that was
>created when I enlarged the canvas.

I'm not sure what the official way to solve this is, but when I am putting
several imagestogether, I look at each in an image viewer to see what the width
and height are in pixels, add those figures together as is appropriate to how
the images will be placed in the final image (if I am not sure, I just make it
bigger than I think I will need - I can always crop it down later), and then
open GIMP.I immediately do a File->New> and set the width and height to the
figures I calculated,and under Advanced Options set the initial content to Fill
With whatever color you want.I usually pick white, but you could use the fore-
or background color, or transparency.(You may wish to set the x- and y-
resolution, but I don't know if it is really necessary - mine is set to 300
ppi, but I don't know if that is default, or because I set it some time...)
Now that I have a background layer that is (at least) large enough, I then
File->Open as Layersall of the images that will be used to make the final image
(remember, you can save time byCtrl-Clicking multiple individual files in the
same directory, and shift-clicking the first and lastfile of multiple files
that are located right next to each other in the same directory).
Now, just move things around as you like, and/or cut/paste parts of one layer
onto otherlayers, etc.
Sometimes, when I know that I only want a little from each image, I will just
cut/paste bitsof each layer onto the background, and play around with exact
placement there, later...
-----
When I go on a trip, I will often use this technique to open pages of a
downloaded .pdffile of a complete bus schedule, knowing that I only need a few
lines on a few pages.I'll cut and paste those lines, and probably the page
headings, on what will end up asonly one printed page, which I can then take
with me.