>Ubuntu is based on Debian and the default Gimp version comes from the
>Debian version.
>
>Guessing you use Ubuntu 19.10  based on Debian 10 and hence Gimp
>2.10.8 is the default.
>
>If you have a Gimp 2.10.18 it is a 'snap' version from the so-called
>ubuntu software centre.
>
>The problem with snap applications is they are 'self-contained' &
>'sandboxed' and can be limited if you ever intend to use any extra
>compiled plug-ins or external RAW editors such as Rawtherapee or
>Darktable.

Thanks for the reply.  I am certain now that I did download '18' as a snap from
the software center.  Still curious why that version does not appear when I
search the software center.  I remember having to set permissions before Gimp
would work properly.

I do use darktable extensively, as it is among my favorite RAW editors.  On the
Windows side, I use Capture One, also, IMHO, very good.  I got rid of PSCC in
favor of Gimp on both sides.  I have experienced no problem with GIMP in
conjunction with darktable, but have not tried to use any extra compiled
plug-ins.

I am an avid photographer (film and digital), and consider myself a fairly
advanced user of photo-editing software, but I am certain there is much more
that I could do by learning even more.

Thanks again for your informative reply.

Caruso

--
Carusoswi (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)