On 10/2/20 5:57 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:
> You need to really download them and view them in the gimp and examine
> the exif because on the original images coming out of the camera, SOME
> applications, like new firefox, read the camera's orientation data
> and display accordingly.  Some applications do not.  The solution is
> to actually rotate the actual image.
>
> Actually, if I was going to modernize this, there would be 2 options,
> one to just rotate by chaning the exif data, and one to physically
> rotate the image.

Thanks for the additional information (this message and the other
message).   I actually DID download both images and I opened them in
GIMP 2.10.20 on Ubuntu 20.04 Linux.  I opened the original image in
Firefox and it was rotated by 90-degress counter-clockwise, so it
appeared like this:

https://imgur.com/a/S5RRJE8

Of course, my highlighting in red didn't appear.  :)    So, then I
opened the original photo in GIMP and I was asked if I wanted to rotate
the photo or not, as shown here:

https://imgur.com/a/eICgy7a

When I opened the rotated photo you posted the link to, the "After"
photo, GIMP prompted me to rotate the photo, as shown here:

https://imgur.com/kozuYXt

Are you getting the same prompts from GIMP, when you open the photos?
If so, which option do you choose?

Anyway, when I open the original photo in GIMP and choose "rotate", I
made NO other changes and simply exported the rotated image.  Then, I
opened that image in Firefox and it appeared correct:

https://imgur.com/a/tsgEiGF

I haven't touched ANY EXIF settings at all and when exporting from GIMP,
I used the export defaults, for JPEG, which included EXIF, XMP, and IPTC
information being saved with the file.  I think I understand your issue
with the image getting rotated unexpectedly, but I'm not necessarily
sure GIMP is at fault, at least not based on the steps I followed.

When you load the images, are you getting different results?  Which
version of GIMP are you using and on which operating system?

Thanks!

Peace...

Tom

> On Fri, Oct 02, 2020 at 08:53:43PM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:

>>> Thanks for posting the sample images.  Please excuse me but I don't
>>> understand what the problem is.  Is it the "After" image is _not_
>>> supposed to appear 90-degrees rotated?  When I view the "After"
>>> image in Firefox (and Opera), it appears rotated 90-degrees.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> The original is 90° tilted as I tilted the camera to get a verticle
>> image
>>

>> It opens in the gimp sideways, as it should since I took the pic that
>> way.
>>
>> The "after pic" is rotated to the correct position.
>> ... or it should be.
>>
>> It is in the GIMP
>>
>> It exif is pointing it to the incorrect orientation now.
>> This is an example of tech trying to make things "simple"
>> and they are not simple.  They are broken.
>>
>> When you rotation the image the exif that is saved needs to be
>> fixed, or eliminated.

>>> Peace...
>>>
>>> Tom

>> --
>> So many immigrant groups have swept through our town
>> that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological
>> proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998
>> http://www.mrbrklyn.com
>>
>> DRM is THEFT - We are the STAKEHOLDERS - RI Safir 2002
>> http://www.nylxs.com - Leadership Development in Free Software
>> http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/resources - Unpublished Archive
>> http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
>> http://www.brooklyn-living.com
>>
>> Being so tracked is for FARM ANIMALS and extermination camps,
>> but incompatible with living as a free human being. -RI Safir 2013

/When I leave, I don't know what I'm hoping to find,
And when I leave, I don't know what I'm leaving behind.../