On 07 Dec 2002 01:13:03 -0600
Joseph A Nagy Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 00:41, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> > On 07 Dec 2002 00:06:50 -0600
> > Joseph A Nagy Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><snip>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Are you sure you want to use gifs? I also thought about it for my
> > 'non-profit' website and wrote to Unisys to ask about a license -
> > their answer? $10,000 per year and 1% of all products sold on my
> > website (I did inform them that I wasn't selling anything!). So I
> > switched everything to png's.
> >
> > Have a look at:
> > http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/tek1/burn_all_gifs.htm
> > and, if you want animated graphics:
> > http://www.libmng.com/
> >
> > RedHat crippled Xmms (media player) in 8.0,  also because of patent
> > problems - so that is why they probably don't include the 'gif' plugin
> > in their Gimp RPM's.
> >
> > Nigel Ridley.
> <snip>
> Unfortunately PNG's don't support animation.
No but MNG does.

> Yeah, I know they did. So I promptly went to XMMS's website and
> downloaded the RPM that would add in the MP3 decoder (it's only the
> encoder's that the patent holders want), and I read at
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html:
>
> "Unisys does not require licensing, or fees to be paid, for
> non-commercial, non-profit GIF-based applications, including those for
> use on the on-line services. Concerning developers of software for the
> Internet network, the same principle applies. Unisys will not pursue
> software products for the Internet prior to 1995. The company does not
> require licensing, or fees to be paid for non-commercial, non-profit
> offerings on the Internet, including "Freeware"."
The email reply that I got from Unisys informed me that I needn't pay the
license fee so long as the gif was created with an app that HAD paid the
license fee - such as PaintShop. Unfortunately The Gimp doesn't have a
license and so the problem. They were adamant that if I manipulated or
created gif's using The Gimp that I would need to purchase a license. That
was only 2 months ago!!

> I guess they changed it. *shrugs* Either way, I need the animation
> ability (unless there is now a MNG plugin (basically an animated PNG
> form what I understand) for GIMP) of a GIF (I'm trying to make a logo
> similar to what I have at http://jan-jr-ent.homelinux.org except WAY
> smaller (only like 100x50 pixels)).
If your really desperated and don't mind using something other than The
Gimp (don't know about a plugin for MNG's) then ImageMagic will convert
most animated gif's.
> --
> Joseph A Nagy Jr
> CEO, Joseph A Nagy Jr Enterprises