Kevin,

I may be able to save you the trouble.

While I was waiting, I went ahead and just tried to make some 400 MB tiff
files. I got as high as 273MB and my system didn't like it, but it did it.

Above that, the GIMP just died and went away - literally! I set the
preferences so as to allow as much free memory as possible but that's the
best I'm able to do. So I wonder, is there some sort of ~300 MB limit with
tiff files, or is it just my system, or the way I had things set up. Don't
know.

I was using color tiffs if that is useful.