Filters -->Map -->Bump Map has a little bit of height control.  Lots of
other options I never quite figured out as well.

The Basic Tutorial on either of the embarrassing and outdated web sites
is everything I know about that Filter.  Perhaps some of the other options
there will get you towards your goal.

I do not know that much about 3d Art, however. I use gimp, gimp is 2d and easier for me to figure out because of that. One less direction to
worry about.

carol