Hi,

david <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have attempted to install the latest release of the gimp
> 1.3.23.tar.bz2.  Only I'm having difficulties with getting past the
> gtk test-infact I dont get past this part in configure.
>
> I've spent much of the afternoon installing updates for everything
> that has gtk in the package name.  I have also installed the source
> from gtk.org for gtk+-2.2.2 to meet the dependency problem.  This did
> not work. I looked at the install file as directed by the
> output/comment. The install file quoates
>
> > Fix: On Linux and other systems using ELF libraries, add the
> >   directory to /etc/ld.so.conf or to the environment variable
> >   LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and run 'ldconfig'.
>
> Only I dont understand how to do this - I simply am lost with this.
> What is the "environment variable
>   LD_LIBRARY_PATH"??   I have come across ldconfig before so I
> understand that-at least!!

Perhaps you should use the simpler approach. Assuming you are on
Linux, installed gtk+ in the default location (/usr/local) and have
root permissions, you can add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and
run ldconfig. This extends the search path for libraries to include
the folder that gtk+ has been installed to and should fix your
problem.

Sven

PS: environment variables aren't rocket science neither