Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 23:07, Tom Williams wrote:

Hi!  Ok, I'm using Gimp 1.3.23 on Linux.  I've got a JPEG taken by
a digital camera at 1892x1992 (pixels) resolution.  The "Print Size
& Display Unit" info is:

Width: 26.278 in
Height: 27.667 in
Resolution X: 72.000  px/in
          Y: 72.000  px/in

So, I take this to mean the image is 72dpi and could be printed to a size of 26" x 27".

Now, I want to print this image as a 5x7 image so I change the
"Height" setting in the "Print Size & Display Unit" section to 7
and the width changs to 6.649, leaving the units in inches.  The
resolution then changes to 284.554 px/in.  So I take this to mean
the image now is the size of 6.65 inches wide and 7 inches high at
284.55 dpi.  Is this correct?  If I click "Ok", will I now have an
image which is 6.65x7 in size instead of the 26x27 I started with?

If I then printed this image, would it print as a 6.65x7 image?

Yes.
Actually, what really counts is the number of pixels.
So, don't matter what changes you make to the value of "pixels per inch", if you do not change the number of pixels, you can always print the best possible copy of your image, choosing the size to at the printing dialog box only.

Actually, changing the resolution like you did for printing from the GIMP itself has little effect. The interface to printing in GIMP is badly needing to be rewritten, and it will ask you the size/resolution of the output when you go to the print dialog.

However changing the resolution like you did and saving the file generates usefui information for other prograns (for example, OpenOffice), which will them treat the image as if it is of the size you desired.

Thanks for the info. Someone else will be printing the image so saving the file after adjusting the ppi sounds like the right thing to do. Since you mention printing from Gimp, I tried that and when I clicked "Use picture's actual size" it reflected the desired size which was exactly what I wanted to see. :)

Peace...

Tom