William Skaggs wrote:

You should be looking for a file named glib-2.0.pc, and it is
probably located in a directory called pkgconfig. In Fedora the
default is /usr/lib/pkgconfig but I believe it is different in
SuSE. If pkg-config data files are located elsewhere than in
the default directory, then the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH gives a list of the possible locations.

Hope this helps,
-- Bill

Steve and Bill,
I found the file you noted in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig. It's the only location on my system that has this particular file, although I do have other *.pc files in another location /opt/gnome/lib/pkgconfig.
So, if I understand this correctly, if I eliminate the glib-2.0.pc from /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig, and then do another "make install" from glib 2.2.3, it should recreate that file again in that directory, correct?
Now I'm just guessing, but there must be an alternate file with 2.3.6 version somewhere, else how is it getting that information?
BTW, here's the result from /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc:

prefix=/usr/local
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include

glib_genmarshal=glib-genmarshal
gobject_query=gobject-query
glib_mkenums=glib-mkenums

Name: GLib
Version: 2.2.3
Libs: -L${libdir} -lglib-2.0 Cflags: -I${includedir}/glib-2.0 -I${libdir}/glib-2.0/include

The result of this file leads me to believe there is another source where pkgconfig is getting it's outdated info, i.e, glib 2.3.6.

Robert