On Monday 07 June 2004 06:58 pm, Robert Krueger wrote:
[...]
> Steve and Bill,
>     I found the file you noted in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig.    It's
> the only location on my system that has this particular file,
> although I do have other *.pc files in another location
> /opt/gnome/lib/pkgconfig. So, if I understand this correctly, if I
> eliminate the glib-2.0.pc from /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig, and then do
> another "make install" from glib 2.2.3, it should recreate that file
> again in that directory, correct? Now I'm just guessing, but there
> must be an alternate file with 2.3.6 version somewhere, else how is
> it getting that information? BTW, here's the result from
> /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc:
[...]
> The result of this file leads me to believe there is another source
> where pkgconfig is getting it's outdated info, i.e, glib 2.3.6.
>
> Robert

Robert,

I believe you mentioned that you are using SuSE 9.0 now?  I don't
remember what versions of glib & glib2 came with that now.  I know a
version 2.x, but don't remember the exact version without looking on my
discs.  Anyway, SuSE does have update files on their ftp to bring
things up to 2.4 for glib2 at least.  Since glib pertains to gtk and
glib2 to the new gtk+, which I believe Gimp has also been updated to
use, I'm pretty sure you won't find a 2.3 version of glib to use.
Usually your odd versions are developer versions anyway.  Be sure too,
that you have all the -devel packages installed for compiling.

I don't know how much you have been mucking around with your setup, but
it sounds as if you might have gotten things wanky.  You could always
do a repair from your SuSE discs, to put things back or you could
update to 9.1 and get Gimp 2.x in the process.  ;o)

You can also download the Gnome files from their ftp for 9.0 and
probably settle things down too, if you are wanting to compile the
newer version.  One other thing, I believe in one of the mails, someone
mentioned glibc.  glibc is one of those things one should not mess with
on their setup as it provides the base for all Linux.  It is extremely
fragile and updating or changing things are a bad idea.  That's not to
say one can't do it, but due to the nature of it's existence, it's
recommended strongly not too!

Regards,
Patrick
        Registered Linux User #225206
 On any other day, that might seem strange...