no no no, gimp has no any job with editing
fonts, nor writing back any info.

But manual kerning is gimp's lesson.
As it works in coreldraw, inkscape or other tool.
Again:
designer's work is making documents with correct
kerning pairs, so manual kerning is the job of
designer's tool (here it is gimp).

And again: fonts is my tools too. I have no license to
change any of my tools (except configuration),
because it has danger to my work. I'm not allowed
editing fonts. Changing fonts can cause a
lot of problems to my staff, and of course any of
our older work will go trash, because of changed
fonts.

There is no possibility to change fonts. It is strictly prohibited. No way!

Changing a text file with gimp is fast, simple
(need just an editor (any editor)) and it belongs
to me only. Changed kerning table can be saved
with xcf (in comments or in new entry, I dont know).

I hope my argument is acceptable. (If not, please ask
any professional designer next door to you.)

Kerning is alpha and omega of design, and we cannot
change any fonts anyhow.

thanks, Aewyn