On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 10:06:33PM -0500, Mark D. Montgomery II wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 17:29 -0800, Carol Spears wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 06:45:16PM -0500, Mark D. Montgomery II wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm using gimp 1.2.5 and 2.0.4 on gentoo with kernel 2.6.10-gentoo-r4,
> > > xorg-x11 6.8.0-r3, and linuxwacom 0.6.6 (including the wacom X driver).
> > >
> > > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > i suggest using gimp2.  the fact that gimp-1.2.5 is working on your
> > system is impressive; however the release of gimp-1.2 dates back to the
> > year 2000 and since that time, so many many things have changed.
> >
> I updated from gimp 2.0.4 to 2.0.6 but it didn't make a difference.

i think we are having some problems because i dont really understand how
gentoo works.

especially with things as complicated as a tablet, it is best to try the
version that is considered stable by the developers who are working on
it.  the stable version right now is gimp-2.2.2
http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ this unannounced release happened only
yesterday so i dont think that the different distributions will have the
change yet, but gimp-2.2 has been out for some time now.

with that said, my distribution, debian testing, only has gimp-2.0
available so i am not sure what i should expect from gentoo.

perhaps if you detail what it was that you did, the X configuration and
anything else that you did to get your tablet working, someone will spot
the problem and tell you about it and/or we can figure out if it is a
gimp problem or some problem in the complicated chain of software that
connects gimp to the tablet.

gimp-2.0 seems really old to me by now.

sorry for the lack of understanding of your distribution on my part and
if all this work does not lead to getting your tablet working.  on the
other hand, many people do have their tablets working with that gimp you
have and with the current stable gimp, so perhaps the best approach for
you right now is to provide more information.

carol