Owen Cook wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Barton Bosch wrote:

<cut>

So, two main questions: 1) is there a way to compile atk and fontconfig in parallel to the already installed rpms (as the gimp 2.2.6 was) and then pass a configure option or edit a script to have gimp use the new versions?; and, 2) when it became necessary to uninstall the faulty 2.2.6 I found that make clean from the source directory tried to erase files from /usr/local/ rather than /opt where gimp 2.2.6 was actually installed -- is there a way to pass an option to make clean to tell it to remove the gimp from /opt? Are /opt and /home/.gimp-2.2 the only directories (besides the untarred source directory) that need to be manually deleted?

<cut>

There will/should also be files called gimp-2.0.pc gimpui-2.0.pc and gimpthumb-2.0.pc You better find out where these are as
if you had two Gimps installed you might be in big trouble as where your
gimp-2.2.6 was looking for things.

Ok, these files were missing when I first checked but may have been part of the gimp-devel rpm which I did not have installed at the time. My gimp 2.0.5 rpm installation seemed to be working fine but just for the hell of it, I uninstalled and then reinstalled both gimp and gimp-devel 2.0.5. Then I found the gimp*.pc files in /usr/lib/pkgconfig.

Have a look there and see if you can psyche out the gimp-2.0.pc matter and
search paths. Look back in these archives I think for where you should set
the LD_LIBRARY PATH

The /usr/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc file shows:

libdir=/usr/lib
gimplibdir=/usr/lib/gimp/2.0
Libs: -L${libdir} -lgimp-2.0 -lgimpmath-2.0 -lgimpcolor-2.0 -lgimpbase-2.0

whereas /opt/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc is the same, but with everything preceded by {prefix} (which is set to /opt), e.g.:

prefix=/opt
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib

What I think might be happening is that your are using the /opt/bin/gimp
binary but loading the libraries from your other installation

So it seems that this is being set up correctly by ./configure. In running through this again to verify everything before this post to the list, I happened to do the initial run of /opt/bin/gimp-2.2 from the root terminal window that I compiled and installed from rather than from a regular user term. I vaguely remember something like gimp 1.2 needing to be run once as root before regular users could run it.

Could the fact that I did not do this last time have caused the malfunctions? Additionally, for this installation I chose not to migrate my user settings and just clicked through all of the user customization options on default. In a brief test I seem to have a functional gimp-2.2.6, or at least have shed the problems that I was experiencing with the prior installation attempt.

When I get more time I'll do a more thorough test run, thanks for the help.

BTW, if I were to experience problems related to an obsolete atk or fontconfig, how would they be likely to manifest themselves?

Barton
--
"It is public domain knowledge that has led to creation of specialized knowledge. The issue is that our policymakers have to take into consideration the needs of the common man ie. the public domain as well as the interests of companies.

In the US, software patents have been taken to ridiculous lengths - [Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems] owns the patent for single click online shopping so anyone starting a shopping website has to use a system which requires the user to click at least twice."
-- DB Phatak