I'm confused what do you mean by item #1?

As for #2 & #3, I have a very stable system.  That is part of the
reason, I want to install the gimp in $HOME/usr not /usr or
/usr/local.   It doesn't seem know anything about tiffs.  I've also
tried the libtiff at ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/libs/  I had to
recompile gtk+ and set CFLAGS='-I/home/strycat/usr/include' to get
that to compile.  However gimp does not give any errors but it just
seems to ignore libtiff.  Is there some option I can force it to look
for libtiff?

Thanks,

-Tom