On 8/14/05, sam ende <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> what is a splash ?

A splash image.  Refers to that (little, or not-so-little) picture you
see when the GIMP (or many other programs) starts up, and is loading.
Usually, displays a loading bar of some sort.  [GIMP, I believe, is
one of the few programs that I know of that likes to change it's
splash screen with every release, and then some.]

Many versions of Windows have splash screens as well, to varying
extents.  Windows 9x had a little picture that flashed on, then off,
then on again during boot.  If you knew how, you could change it, too.
 Windows XP has one that fades in, and shows a little purple line
scrolling across the screen (or someting like that).

--
~Mike
 - Just my two cents