On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 02:48:27AM -0800, Carol Spears wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 08:08:13PM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > I also tried Carol's "removing background" tutorial:
> >
> > http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/basics/backgroundremoval/
> >
> > But it does not describe the "Add the decomposed image as a mask" portion.
> >
> > Can some explain it or point to a tutorial on the subject?
> >
> Dialogs-->Layers
>
> in that dockable dialog, right click on the layer you would like to mask
> and select "Add Layer Mask" (i am typing this from memory so no
> guarrentee on the exact wording).
>
> there will be a dialog with a choice of mask color/opacity.  just stick
> with the default since the next step is to copy another image to it.
>
> Decompose gives several layers.  i would convert the decompose image to
> rgb (some of the gimps had problems copying grayscale and i cannot
> remember which ones).  Edit-->Copy on the layer you want as a mask
> Edit-->Paste to the mask area on the target image.
>
> black on masks is transparent, white is opague.  gray is a little of
> both.
>
> is that what you asked?

Yes, I think I did some things the hard way though.

I ended up with two images based on my mask, one with all black in
overexposed areas, one with all black in underexposed areas.

I copied one to a new layer in the other, and selected "addition" as the
layer mode.

I have to clean up the mask edges (they are blurred already but need more
changes) and/or etc.

-- Patrick Mansfield