On Friday 03 February 2006 10:23 pm, Carol Spears wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 05:53:03PM -0800, Tom Williams wrote:
> > I'm also a Slackware user and have the latest glib and gtk+ libraries
> > installed.  Feel free to e-mail me if you need help getting everything
> > straightened out.  I've had similar problems with other apps and got
> > them resolved once I made sure I had everything installed where I
> > expected them to be as well as the app I was building.  :)
> >
> > I've got Gimp 2.2.10 running and Gimp 2.3.6 compiled but not installed
> > since it fails a MMX composite test during "make test".

Tom, I never saw your original post but only Carol's reply. If
you could help me dig my way out of the swamp off list or on
list I would be grateful. I have Slack 10.2 installed. When Gimp
2.3.6 failed I tried to  upgrade my libs and thoroughly messed
them up. But I have a clean copy on another partition. So my game
will be to upgrade on that partiton with your help.

Did you use slack Current or do you go directly to another source?
If so, what sites? Did you deinstall the Slack packages first or not?
What exactly did you upgrade?

All assistance appreciated.

Carol, in answer to your question although there is a third party
program around that will update Slack on the fly, like apt on
Debian or Gentoo, I haven't used it. I prefer to go through
the drama of a major upgrade once or twice a year. But I do try to
keep Gimp up to date. With the advent of more DTP capability---
CMYK, ICC Profiles and such---staying current is more critical. BTW
there is a good guide to using Gimp in DTP workflow buried in the
online documentation of Scribus, a program that works well with
Gimp. When I identify the paricular html file I will post it.
--
John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers: