I usually use noise reduction with a grain of salt. As I understand,
GREYCstoration differs in its approach from most of other filters: it
tries to predict some edges in initial picture, not to simply blur it.
http://www.haypocalc.com/wiki/GREYCstoration_en
        I usually decrease the amount of noise reduction the plug-in provides
as default. Also if only some important details suffer from visible
noise they can be selected and GREYCstoration then applies to the
selection only. It takes much less time and memory.
        Concerning its development it seems it does not take place now :(. The
latest version I ever seen is greycstoration-0.2.4-a.tgz . I do not
remember where I've got it from.

--
With respect
Alexander Rabtchevich