Matthias,

Thank you for responding.

In another thread, I was trying to be helpful to another user who was
asking questions about GIMP-shop. I learned in that thread that
GIMP-Shop is more than merely a skin or wrapper, but a different branch
of development.

So it occurred to me that maybe the problem lay in that.

To make a long story short, after some web search, I found this, which
solved the problem:

sudo cp /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/print
/usr/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/print

Now, when I go to the print interface, and I click the "About" button,
it says:

"Gutenprint version 5.0.0 - 22 Jul 2006"

Sweet.

My apologies to those who offered advice that might have been hindered
by not knowing I was using GIMP-Shop. By not understanding exactly what
GIMP-Shop was, I had neglected to consider its importance.

Now that I'm using Gutenprint, my images still aren't printing quite
right. But, that is something I'll take directly to the Gutenprint team.

Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread to help me along,
and to the GIMP mailing list in general for all its support.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft