> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 08:08:13PM -0800, patman at aracnet.com
wrote:

 >> I also tried Carol's "removing background" tutorial:
 >>
 >> http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/basics/backgroundremoval/
 >>
 >> But it does not describe the "Add the decomposed image as a mask"
portion.

 >> Can some explain it or point to a tutorial on the subject?
 >>
 >Dialogs-->Layers
 >
 >in that dockable dialog, right click on the layer you would like to
mask
 >and select "Add Layer Mask" (i am typing this from memory so no
 >guarrentee on the exact wording).
 >
 >there will be a dialog with a choice of mask color/opacity.  just
stick
 >with the default since the next step is to copy another image to it.
 >
 >Decompose gives several layers.  i would convert the decompose
image to
 >rgb (some of the gimps had problems copying grayscale and i cannot
 >remember which ones).  Edit-->Copy on the layer you want as a mask
 >Edit-->Paste to the mask area on the target image.
 >
 >black on masks is transparent, white is opague.  gray is a little of
 >both.
 >
 >is that what you asked?
 >
 >carol

When I try the above Edit->Paste to create a layer mask containing an
image,
I get a Floating Selection layer rather than anything in the layer
mask. Can
anyone help?

I am trying to blend two exposures using the 2nd technique ("Layer
Mask")
described at this URL:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending.shtml

To use this given two exposures, E1 and E2, I need to find a way to
use E1
as a layer mask for E2. Is that possible using GIMP?

Josh