JC Dill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thomas Worthington wrote:
> > I've just reverted to 2.2
> >
> > 2.4 has too many problems to bother with; the alt key is the final straw.
>
> I've been lurking on this list for several years.  I'd LOVE to be able
> to use Gimp instead of paying the ever increasing price of Photoshop.
> But Gimp is NOT a suitable replacement for Photoshop for most image
> editing professionals and this alt-key problem highlights why.  Gimp
> programmers make capricious changes in the software with total disregard
> for their user community.  They expect that all users are programmers,
> that they can work around bad design decisions, handle bad UI decisions,
> deal with poor documentation, write their own patches, etc.
>
> Gimp will never come into general use until these issues are fixed.
> Firefox is a true competitor to IE because the Firefox development team
> understands these issues and built a product that "average computer
> users" can easily use.  The Gimp development team should give this
> serious consideration.  It doesn't take a lot of "work" to fix Gimp - it
> just requires a small change in focus - design the program for
> non-programmers to USE, don't make capricious changes, don't BREAK
> things when you introduce new versions.

I generally remain silent in front of so strong statements, but this one
is too typical.

Could you be only a little specific about these "capricious changes"?
And what is this "alt-key problem"? From the beginning of GIMP, the alt
key has been used for some specific uses, for example in the layer mask.
>From the beginning of GIMP, it has been suggested, when the window
manager confiscated this key for its own use, to use Shift+Alt instead,
or to change one's window manager. Does it really need to be a
programmer to understand that, or to change the window manager
parameters in order to free the alt key?

Note that such comments always come from people calling them
true professionals, as if anybody else would be simple and stupid
amateurs...

--

               Olivier Lecarme, obviously a dumb amateur