I don't get *any* antialiasing when I stroke elliptical selections.

Antialiasing is checked in the tool attributes of the Ellipse Select
tool.  It's also checked in the Choose Stroke Style dialog.

Fills antialias just fine.  I also get an antialiased line if I convert
the selection to a path and then stroke the path.  See

    http://home.comcast.net/~erniew/gimp_alias.png

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, which is normally a clue that
I'm doing something wrong, but I can't imagine what it might be.

Using both 2.2.10 in SUSE 10.1 and whatever GIMP version is in CentOS 5
(I believe that's also a 2.2.x version).

- Ernie                                  http://home.comcast.net/~erniew