On Thursday 27 November 2008, Rinke H. wrote:
> I just installed gimp 2.6 on my windows 2000 machine, but the program is
> inherently instable and is not able to run longer than 5 seconds before it
> crashes and disappears. Most of the time it already crashes at startup; if
> not it crashes as soon as you click a button or menu item.
>
> The error message is always something like "unknow software exception at
> blah blah blah"
>
> 2.4 has the same behaviour, only 2.0 runs without problems.
>
> On my other machine, also windows 2000, gimp 2.6 runs without problems.
>

> Anyone an idea what I can do about it? Is there some error log in the gimp,
> which I can check on dll's causing the problem?

Hi!

If you still have 2.0 or 2.2 there, you probably installed gtk+ separately,
which could be in a pretty old version by now.  Could you try completely
uninstalling the old GIMP and the old GTK+ libraries before installing the
current version of GIMP?

Also other people might be able to help further if that error message mentions
more details about where exactly the error occurs.

Daniel