On Friday 24 July 2009 12:40:42 am Erik Lotspeich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have OpenSUSE 11.1 and Gimp 2.6.2.  I am having a serious
> problem with printing that I cannot figure out.
>
> For background, I've used Gimp since 1997 and I'm no novice to
> Gimp, Linux, or Unix.
>
> That being said, I found the printing in Gimp 2.2 to be near
> perfect. It worked perfectly and had a feature to auto-fit the
> image to the correct paper size.  Image rotation
> (landscape/portrait) was never an issue.
>
> I find the printing interface in Gimp 2.6.2 to be a complete
> failure in terms of both interface and functionality.  Here are
> links to some screenshots:
>
> https://joomla.lotspeich.org/~erik/gimp-print-fail.png
> https://joomla.lotspeich.org/~erik/gimp-image-properties.png
>
> I would like to know why the width and height do not correspond
> to any reasonable value.  I set my paper size to 4x6 borderless
> on an HP OfficeJet 6110.  Printing on this printer works
> perfectly in other programs; I'm using hplip and CUPS.
>
> Why is there no auto-resize like there is in Gimp 2.2?
>
> Why is the X and Y resolution pegged to 1133.948?  Why won't it
> let me set this value?
>
> The preview does not correspond in any way to my paper size (see
> the huge border on the bottom!).
>
> I'm sorry to sound upset by this issue, but I'm completely
> shocked that a wonderful program like Gimp would have such a
> complete regression. I'm using the distro version of Gimp
> (OpenSUSE); I haven't tried to compile the latest version from
> source.
>
> I also tried Gimp for Windows on my wife's Windows Vista
> computer. Printing here is just as much of a failure.  On
> Windows, it's actually worse since the page setup options that
> Gimp provides conflict with the printer driver's settings (e.g.
> paper size, rotation, etc.).  I tried all permutations of
> portrait/landscape and could never find a way to print correctly.
>
> Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Erik

My history with Gimp is much more limited than yours.  I have always
used Gimp for creation/manipulation of images and some other
program for printing out the  results in a document.  When I rarely
need to print color work locally I throw a switch to redirect
traffic to my Epson Stylus Color 880 and select that printer from
the Cups popup.  Someday I hope to get a color laser. But I will
still use Gimp for image massaging and something else to print out
the results.

Perhaps I should test Gutenprint directly from Gimp just to be sure
it works.

My Epson 880 is ancient. Hence it is well understood by software.
When it dies I may try to find another on EBay.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95