Philip Rhoades wrote:
> Peter,
>

> On 2010-01-18 20:40, yahvuu wrote:
>> Philip Rhoades wrote:
>>> It still seems counter intuitive that opening a JPG (even if it is a
>>> photo rather than a computer generated image) and immediately saving it
>>> with 100% "quality" increases the size by 2.5 . .
>>
>> so you mean the scale should be different? Like
>>
>> 1 .. 10 ... 100 ... 100000
>>               ^         ^
>>               |          \ extravagant luxury quality for the filthy rich
>>          current "90"
>>           default
>

> ?? - that's an odd comment . .

oh yeah, i should have been more clear.
Now that you and me and probably a few others have learned something new
about JPG peculiarities, i was brainstorming how the user interface could
be tweaked to avoid misleading associations.

Above diagram was intended to depict a logarithmic scale for the quality value,
where the numbers relate to the typical growth in file size [1].

But a much better and simpler idea is to just use a
number range from 1..13, similar to photoshop.

I'll take that over to the developer's list.

regards,
peter

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Quality_comparison_jpg_vs_saveforweb.jpg