I'm not an expert Gimp user so maybe I'm just not looking in the right place
for this.  I've been Googling for hours and finally gave up.

I need to shape an image to follow a path or curve.  Since I can't do it, I'm
not sure how I can show you what I mean, but imagine the palm branch that flows
around the edge of a medal.  I have a long slender image of a braid (3/4" x
10") I need to shape like that around a 5" circle.  Polar Coordinates seems to
be the place to start but it creates a huge curve and I can't see how to force
it any smaller.  This is much like making text follow a curve or path, but I
need my image to follow the path.  I've thought about converting the image to a
really big font symbol so I could manage it like a text character but I've not
figured out how to go about that.

This is evidently something others have sought and no one has found a solution
for yet.  Is there none?

Any help?

Thanks.

--